Associated Scientist, Department of Biodiversity
I am interested in wildlife ecology, human-wildlife interactions, protected area management and the sustainable use of natural resources. My research focuses on the (historic) population dynamics and human-crocodile interactions of the saltwater crocodile (Crocodylus porosus), especially in Timor-Leste.
- Since 2019: Advisor at German Wildlife Foundation
- 2018: Research Consultant, European Commission
- 2017: Visiting Scientist at National University of Timor-Leste (UNTL)
- 2015-2018: Research Associate at Albert Ludwigs-University of Freiburg
- 2014 & 2015: Voluntary Consultant at United Nations Environment Program/Ministry of Commerce Industry and Environment of Timor-Leste
- 2012: Internship with Tk´emlups Indian Band, Canada
- 2009: Field staff Birding & Research Center of Eilat, Israel
- 2008-2009: Voluntary services at Vogelwarte Helgoland
- 2017 – 2021: Doctorate studies at University of Freiburg (Dissertation: Wilderness Areas in Germany – Potential, Priorities and Evaluation)
- 2013 – 2015: Master of Science “Forest Sciences” at University of Freiburg (Thesis: Human-crocodile conflict in Timor-Leste – Assessment and recommendations for management)
- 2009 – 2013: Bachelor of Science “Forestry and the Environment” at University of Toronto, Albert Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg and Universidade de Santiago de Compostela (Thesis: Changes in land use and vegetation of coastal dunes – A GIS-based case study from As Furnas, Spain)
Honors, scholarships and awards
- Small Grant of the Rufford Foundation, London, UK
- Best poster award (3rd place) of the Crocodile Specialist Group (2016)
- Karl Steinbuch-Scholarship of the Film and Media Society of Baden-Württemberg (2015)
- PROMOS Scholarship of the DAAD (2015)
- Scholarship of the Müller-Fahnenberg-Foundation (2014)
Selected publications (peer reviewed)
- Brackhane, S., Reif, A., Zin, E., Schmitt, & Schmitt, C.B. (2021). Are natural disturbances represented in strictly protected areas in Germany? Global Ecology and Conservation 237, e01436.
- Brackhane, S., Schoof, N., Reif, A.& Schmitt, C.B. (2019). A new wilderness for Central Europe? - The potential for large strictly protected forest reserves in Germany. Biological Conservation 237, 373 – 382.
- Brackhane, S., G.Webb, F.M.E. Xavier, J. Trindade, M. Gusmao & P. Pechacek (2019). Crocodile management in Timor-Leste: Drawing upon local knowledge and cultural beliefs. Human Dimensions of Wildlife 24 (4), 314 – 331.
- Brackhane, S., G. Webb, F.M.E. Xavier, M. Gusmao, & P. Pechacek (2018). When conservation becomes dangerous: Human-crocodile conflict in Timor-Leste. The Journal of Wildlife Management 82 (7), 1332-1344.
- Brackhane, S., F.M.E. xavier, M. Gusmao, & Y. Fukuda (2018). Habitat Mapping of the Saltwater Crocodile (Crocodylus porosus) in Timor-Leste. Herpetological Review 49 (3), 439-441.