Dr. Ulrich Kotthoff
Head of Department of Paleontology and Geologic-Paleontological Museum
2008 - ...
Scientific worker at the Geological-Palaeontological Institute and Museum, University of Hamburg
- palynological analyses (Paleo- and Neogene palynomorphs)
- in charge of palynological laboratory
- paleoclimatic reconstructions
2004 - 2008
Scientific worker at the Institute of Geosciences, University of Frankfurt
- palynological analyses (Quaternary palynomorphs)
- paleoclimatic reconstructions
- PhD thesis
2003 - March 31st, 2008 PhD, University of Frankfurt, Germany
Title: Climate Dynamics and Biotic Response in the Aegean Region during the Late Glacial and the Holocene: A palynological approach; graded 'magna cum laude'
December 31st, 2002 Geology Diploma, University of Tübingen, Germany; graded 1.3
Title of diploma thesis: Fossil Honeybees and other Holometabola from the Randeck Maar
Title of diploma mapping: Geological mapping of the northeast of Eastern Elba
- Paleo- and Neogene vegetation and climate dynamics
- Evolution of Paleo- and Neogene eusocial insects
- Dinocyst-based sea-surface salinity and temperature reconstructions
- IODP Baltic Sea 347 (Onshore Science Party)
- FS Poseidon (2011) Gulf of Genoa (coring)
- IODP New Jersey Shallow Shelf 313 (Onshore Science Party)
- FS Poseidon (2003) Canares - Azores - Portugal (plankton analyses)
- Kotthoff, U., Wappler, T., Engel, M.S. (2013): Greater past disparity and diversity hints at ancient migrations of European honey bee lineages into Africa and Asia. Journal of Biogeography, DOI: 10.1111/jbi.12151.
- McCarthy, F.M.G., Katz, M., Kotthoff, U., Browning, J., Miller, K., Zanatta, R., Williams, R., Drljepan, M., Hesselbo, S.P., Bjerrum, C., Mountain, G.: Eustatic control of New Jersey margin architecture: palynological evidence from IODP Expedition 313, Geosphere, 9, doi:10.1130/GES00853.1, 2013.
- Fang, L., Bjerrum, C., Hesselbo, S.P., Kotthoff, U., McCarthy, M.F.G., Huang, B., Ditchfield, P.W.: Carbon-isotope stratigraphy from terrestrial organic matter through the Monterey Event, Miocene, New Jersey margin (IODP Expedition 313). Geosphere, 9, 1303-1318, 2013.
- Triantaphyllou, M.V., Gogou, A., Dimiza, M., Kouli, K., Bouloubassi, I., Papanikolaou, M., Kotthoff, U., Emeis, K.-C., Roussakis, G., Athanasiou, M., Parinos, K., Katsouras, G., Ioakim, C., Lykousis, V. (2013): Evidence for warm and humid Mid-Holocene in the Aegean and northern Levantine Seas. Regional Environmental Change, DOI:10.1007/s10113-013-0495-6
- Kotthoff, U., Wappler, T., Engel, M.S. (2011): Miocene honey bees from the Randeck Maar of southwestern Germany (Hymenoptera, Apidae). Zookeys 96, 11-37.
- Kotthoff, U., Koutsodendris, A., Pross, J., Schmiedl, G., Bornemann, A., Kaul, C., Marino, G., Peyron, O., Schiebel, R. (2011): Impact of late glacial cold events in the Northern Aegean region, reconstructed from integrated marine and terrestrial proxy data. Journal of Quaternary Science 26, 86-96.
- Müller, U.C., Pross, J., Kotthoff, U., Schmiedl, G., Wulf-Bowen, S., Christanis, K., Tzedakis, P. (2011): Influence of Dansgaard-Oeschger climate variability on the Eastern Mediterranean. Quaternary Science Reviews 30, 273-279.
- Koutsodendris, A., Müller, U.C., Pross, J., Brauer, A., Kotthoff, U., Lotter, A.F. (2010): Vegetation dynamics and climate variability during the Holsteinian interglacial based on a pollen record from Dethlingen, North Germany. Quaternary Science Reviews 29, 3298-3307.
- Schmiedl, G., Kuhnt, T., Ehrmann, W., Emeis, K.-C., Hamann, Y., Kotthoff, U., Dulski, P., Pross, J. (2010): Climatic forcing and regional differentiation of eastern Mediterranean deep-water formation and benthic ecosystems during the past 22 000 years. Quaternary Science Reviews 29, 3006-3020.
- Peyron, O., Dormoy, I., Kotthoff, U., Pross, J., de Beaulieu, J.-L., Drescher- Schneider, R., Magny, M. (2010): Holocene seasonality changes in the central Mediterranean region reconstructed from the pollen sequences of Lake Accesa (Italy) and Tenaghi Philippon (Greece). The Holocene 21, 131–146.
- Pross, J., Houben, A.P.J., van Simaeys, S., Williams, G.L., Kotthoff, U., Coccioni, R., Wilpshaar, M., Brinkhuis, H. (2010): Umbria-Marche revisited: A refined magnetostratigraphic calibration of dinoflagellate cyst events for the Oligocene of the Western Tethys. Review of Palaeobotany and Palynology 158, 213-235.
2005 - 2009
- Pross, J., Kotthoff, U., Schmiedl, G., Müller, U.C., Peyron, O., Tzedakis, C., Christanis, K., Emeis, K.-C. (2009): Massive perturbation in terrestrial ecosystems of the Eastern Mediterranean region associated with the 8.2 kyr climatic event. Geology 37, 887-890.
- Kotthoff, U., Müller, U.C., Pross, J., van de Schootbrugge, B., Schmiedl, G., Schulz, H. (2008a): Lateglacial and Holocene vegetation dynamics in the Aegean region: An integrated view based on pollen data from marine and terrestrial archives. The Holocene 18, 1019-1032.
- Kotthoff, U., Pross, J., Müller, U.C., Peyron, O., Schmiedl, G., Schulz, H., Bordon, A. (2008b): Climate dynamics in the borderlands of the Aegean Sea during formation of Sapropel S1 deduced from a marine pollen record. Quaternary Science Reviews 27, 832-845.
- Pross, J., Tzedakis, P., Schmiedl, G., Christanis, K., Hooghiemstra, H., Müller, U.C., Kotthoff, U., Kalaitzidis, S., Milner, A. (2007): Tenaghi Philippon Re-Visited: Drilling a Continuous Lower-Latitude Terrestrial Climate Archive of the Last 250,000 Years. Scientific Drilling 5, 30-32.
- Kotthoff, U. & Schmid, U. (2005): A new fossil hoverfly (Insecta, Diptera: Syrphidae) from the Randeck Maar (Early Miocene, SW Germany). - Palaeontology 48, 1091-1096.
Classes at the Institute of Geosciences, University of Hamburg
- Applied Micropaleontology: Palynology
- Applied Paleontology
- Paleontology of Tetrapods
- Paleontology of Arthropods
- Paleobotany and Palynology
- Field trip: 'Wattenmeer'
Classes at the Institute of Geosciences, University of Frankfurt
- Introduction to Micropaleontology (2008): Pollen (4 h)
- Geology I, Fossils (2007): Brachiopods and Bivalves (2 h)
- Introduction to Paleontology (2006, 2007): Arthropods (3 h)
- Paleoceanography (2005): Plankton (3 h)
- Introduction to Paleontology (2005, 2006, 2007): Protists (3 h)
- Introduction to Paleontology (2005): Biostratigraphy and Biogeography (3 h)
Public relations and supervising
- Organisation of the contributions of the Geological-Palaeontological Museum to the "Lange Nacht der Museen Hamburg" in (2009 - 2013)
- Supervising palynology-related B.Sc. and M.Sc. theses (since 2010)
- At regular intervals: public presentations dealing with paleoclimate- and paleontology related topics
- Darwin Year 2009: "How to become eusocial? Evolution of social insects - Theories and fossil record" (Acadamy of Sciences, Hamburg, 2009)
- At regular intervals: guided tours in the Paleontological Museum of the Institute of Geosciences, University of Hamburg (2008 - 2013)
- Summer of Geosciences: "On the pollen trail of vegetation - a workshop for children between 5 and 8 years" (Children's Academy, Fulda, 2008)
- Engaged in M.Sc. thesis supervising (University of Frankfurt, 2007)
- At regular intervals: guided tours in the Paleontological Museum of the Institute of Geosciences, Eberhard-Karls-University Tübingen (2000 - 2004)
- Co-editor and co-author of the catalogue of the Naturwissenschaftliche Museen and Collections Hamburg VNSH (2010)
- Reviewer for Marine Micropaleontology
- Reviewer for Quaternary Science Reviews
- Reviewer for Climate of the Past
- Reviewer for Journal of Quaternary Science
- Reviewer for Palaeontology
- Member of the EGU
- Member of IODP
- Member of the Paläontologische Gesellschaft